There is good news for Android owners who have been considering switching to an iPhone but are concerned about losing their WhatsApp data. WhatsApp and Apple have officially supported data portability from the chatting application on Android to iOS. The option will be present in the WhatsApp beta version. It will take roughly a week to reach all users and go out gradually. Users were allowed to transfer messages from iOS to Android, according to an announcement by Google and WhatsApp last year.
After much anticipation, Meta revealed that end-to-end encryption would still be maintained while transferring WhatsApp conversation history, images, videos, and voice chats from Android to iPhone. The system can be started during the setup of a new (or factory reset) iPhone and uses Apple’s Move to iOS software for Android phones.
Given that WhatsApp has over 450 million users in India, the feature will be greatly appreciated by consumers in our country. When transitioning from Android to iOS, consumers’ top concern is how to save their WhatsApp data. While WhatsApp data is saved to the iCloud on iOS and Google Drive on Android, and there is no connectivity between the two. As a result, users relied heavily on questionable third-party apps that frequently failed to deliver on their promises.
Minimum requirements to transfer Whatsapp from Android to iOS:
Users must make sure that the following in order to move the WhatsApp chat from Android to iOS:
- Android 5 or later is used by the Android device (Android OS Lollipop, SDK12 or above).
- iOS 15.5 or later is installed on the iPhone.
- Your Android smartphone is equipped with the Move to iOS application.
- The new iPhone has an iOS version of 184.108.40.206 or higher for WhatsApp.
- On the old Android smartphone, WhatsApp is running Android 220.127.116.11 or higher.
- To move the chats from the old Android smartphone to the new iPhone utilizing the same mobile number you use to sign in.
- To transfer a WhatsApp chat from an Android phone to an iPhone using the Move to iOS application, the iPhone must be brand-new or reset to factory defaults.
- iPhone and Android smartphones should be connected to a power source.
- For the migration to be successful, both the Android smartphone and the iPhone must be linked to the same Wi-Fi network.
How to export Whatsapp chats from Android to iOS
Below are the steps necessary to move the Messaging history from an Android smartphone to an iPhone. Everything in your WhatsApp history, including chats, voice notes, and media files, is transferred to a new iPhone using the much-needed migration tool.
- On your Android phone, open the Move to iOS application and follow the on-screen instructions.
- On your iPhone, you’ll see a code. On your Android phone, input that code.
- Choose WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen by clicking Continue, then follow the on-screen instructions.
- On your Android device, tap Start and wait while WhatsApp processes your data for export. When the data is ready to be exported, WhatsApp will log out of your account on your Android device.
- To return to the Move to iOS application, click Next.
- Click Continue to transfer the data from the Android device to an iPhone. When Move to iOS appears, confirm to complete the conversation transfer process.
- Download WhatsApp’s most recent version from the Application Store to your iPhone.
- Use the same phone number you used to log in to WhatsApp on the old Android device when you launch the application on the iPhone.
- To begin the procedure, click Start, then wait as the data is transferred to your new iPhone.
- Your WhatsApp chat will appear on your new iPhone once it is activated.
Your data won’t be stored in the cloud when you move it from an Android device to an iPhone, so you’ll need to make an iCloud backup. Unless you manually remove the data or delete the WhatsApp application, neither WhatsApp nor Apple will be able to access your data, which will remain on your Android device. It should be noted that only the WhatsApp conversations will be transferred from the Android smartphone to your iPhone; hence, WhatsApp won’t transfer the call history or payment history.