You can delete your Gmail address from your Google account if you no longer need it. You will no longer be able to receive or send mail to that address if you delete your Gmail account. You may be able to recover your Gmail account if you change your decision, but nobody will be able to utilize the account in the future.
If you use Gmail for work, school, or another organization, you should speak with your administrator before deleting your account.
There are various reasons why users would want to delete their Gmail accounts. If they have an embarrassing username or receive too many spam mails, or may want to start over. Users could also consider moving to a different email provider entirely. Whatever the reason, here you’ll learn how to delete your Gmail account.
Since the process differs slightly for mobile and desktop devices, here are the distinct step-by-step guides for each.
How to delete a Gmail account?
These steps work on both Windows and macOS.
- Choose “Manage your Google Account” from your profile symbol in the top-right corner.
- Select “Data & privacy” from the left menu.
- Select “Delete a Google service” from the Download or delete your data option.
- Click “Delete a service” and verify your Gmail account by entering your password.
- Next to “Gmail,” press the Delete icon. Users can also save their emails, files, and user settings by clicking “download data.”
- To connect with the remaining Google services, provide an email address that isn’t Gmail. Select “send a verification email.”
- Open the verification message from the non-Gmail account. Go to the link and click it.
- Select “Delete Gmail” from the menu at the bottom of the message.
That is all there is to it. Your Gmail account is no longer accessible.
How to remove a Gmail account from an Android and iOS device
The methods for deleting the Gmail account on Android and iOS are similar to those for deleting a Gmail account on a computer.
- Go to Settings on the Android device and scroll down to Google, and in iOS, press the hamburger menu in the top-left corner of the Gmail app and scroll down to Settings. Select the account to be deleted.
- “Manage your Google account” will appear. Choose “Delete a service or your account” under Data & personalization.
- Select “Delete a service,” then select the delete button next to the Gmail account.
- Follow the directions on the screen. The remaining steps are similar to the windows version.
Before you delete your Gmail account, keep this in mind
Once the Gmail account is deleted, the user will lose total access to all the content, including backups and data, associated with their Google account on services and applications like YouTube, Google Play, Google Photos, and others. If you don’t want to lose your stuff, ensure that you save all the data, files, account settings, and emails before deleting your Google account.